A Short History Of Nearly Everything

This book is truly amazing. It reminds me why back in high school I love science so much. Back then, everything about science triggers a sensation of curiosity and fascination. I just love science though I hate physics... I can't get a proper grasp on physics. Not then, not now.

I remembered during a class of biology, we had to prick our fingers to extract blood cells to see the structure of it. I was so in awe when I saw the cells that I got curious what else would look like under a microscope. Calvin, CK and I got curious one day talking about how does sperms actually look like. The next day came and CK brought a bottle filled with his fresh ejaculation (I'm a bad influence it seems)... Though we didn't get to see it cause I didn't wanna be the one asking, "Teacher, may we use the microscope so we can examine CK's cum?"

This book is indeed as John Waller from Guardian reviewed, "Truly impressive... it's hard to imagine a better rough guide to science".

Its a breeze reading the book. Bill Bryson wrote the book in such a way that people with minimal science background would be able to understand what he's saying. He made Quantum Physics like its an elementary school subject though its not Quantum Physics 101.

As what the title indicates, it is essentially a short history of nearly everything. The book starts from the Big Bang Theory, cruise through the age of dinosaurs, to a close examine of the Earth, a microscopic look of ourselves and end in the modern era which is now. Its truly is an engaging book to read and keeps the mind fascinated with facts of science we don't know.

Some excerpts from the book:

This explains so much about my hair growth since I don't have a beard.

How fast a man's beard grows, for instance, is partly a function of how much he thinks about sex (because thinking about sex produces a testosterone surge).

OMG! This is how the buggers get in...

One of the most commonest genes we have is for a protein called reverse transscriptase, which has no known beneficial to human beings at all. The one thing it does do is make it possible for retroviruses, such as HIV, to slip unnoticed into the human system.

I really love this book and I do recommend everyone to read it. It really is a fun book to read.

-Live Long & Prosper

3 comments:

MrBunnyBan said...

EEEEEEEEE, siapa muka tebal bring CUM to school?

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're reading that book now? I've read it many months ago but then stopped halfway to indulge in other fiction so now I have to get back to it.

I totally agree with you that it's interesting and easy to understand. I think every school should endorse that book for the science subject.

And out of my love on his witty writing style, I bought his other books which is funny and interesting too.

Janvier said...

The book's interesting - but so chock-filled with info that whatever's been read is soon forgotten.